Over the years, we’ve seen just about everything, and landscaping problems are nothing new. But your landscaping issues don’t need to be problematic, as there are ways to alleviate some of the most common issues. In some cases, a professional’s help is necessary to get your lawn back on track. Here’s a list of the six most common landscaping problems we’ve come across.
Common Landscaping Problems in Northern VA
1. Erosion. One of the most common landscaping problems we see is erosion. With the help of a professional, there are a number of manageable solutions. A dry creek bed works well when trying to control erosion and can offer unique aesthetics to your landscaping. If this isn’t an option for your space, your pro can offer other solutions like terracing, layered plantings, and more.
2. Dead grass. Trees and shrubbery can bring an unparalleled beauty to your Virginia landscaping. Unfortunately, the heavy shade can make it extremely difficult to maintain healthy grass underneath. Creating a shade garden for these areas may be the perfect solution.
3. Mushrooms everywhere. It’s not uncommon for homeowners to suddenly realize that there are mushrooms multiplying across their landscaping. In some cases, this common landscaping problem can easily become overwhelming. Mushrooms can be nearly impossible to get rid of, and you could spend some serious cash if you’re employing the use of fungicides to try. Unfortunately, the mushrooms you see are merely the tip of the iceberg. These are the result of an extensive root system below the surface of your lawn, so getting rid of them completely will take much more than just pulling them up.
Make your landscaping less appealing to fungi by correcting drainage issues and removing buried lumber and any organic matter that may be decaying. Other suggestions include replacing old mulch, aerating your landscaping, bagging grass clippings. Having tree stumps ground down is also worth considering.
4. Standing water. If your yard becomes a boggy mess with a hard rain, it may be difficult to maintain healthy turf and gardens. This water retention can be caused by low spots or excess run-off that can’t drain away quick enough. Professional landscaping services can suggest a variety of solutions for your drainage issues. Depending on the features of your landscaping, creative solutions can include a French drain strategically placed, a dry well, or even a small holding pond depending on the area.
5. Privacy. If you can’t enjoy your landscaping due to lack of privacy, there is a solution. You can make your landscaping work for you, not against you. Fencing can be expensive, and in some cases it can negatively affect the aesthetics of your landscaping. Consider working with a pro to plant a living fence. You can use fast growing evergreens, English laurel, or Japanese privet to create a lush green backdrop and privacy.
6. Wildlife. Nothing is more irritating than finding a garden or other area in your landscaping that’s been devoured by wildlife overnight. Deer, birds, and even those cute bunnies can wreck havoc on plants and gardens. Solutions include barriers, specialized plants, and even smelly sprays.
Get Help from the Experts at Wheat’s Landscape!
The landscaping around your Northern Virginia property can add valuable aesthetics and curb appeal to any home. Like most things, your Virginia landscaping needs a bit of care and help from time to time to continue providing beauty and function year round. If you’ve experienced any of the issues mentioned above, don’t hesitate to contact the landscape design experts at Wheat’s!