Rats are unwelcome guests in any home or garden, posing a risk to the health of family members and pets and potentially causing damage to wiring and building materials. If you have discovered signs of a rat infestation or suspect you have any type of rodent issue, it’s imperative to seek professional help as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
The team of experienced pest control experts at Wheat’s Landscape has been proudly serving homeowners throughout the Northern Virginia area since 1978. Our extermination methods and products are designed to work efficiently and effectively to get rid of rats fast and stop them from returning.
Contact us today to learn more about our rat pest control services or call 703-641-4790 and let us know how we can help.
Rat Infestation Signs
Both rats and mice can spread disease, contaminate your food supply, and cause damage to your home and property. Once these rodents have infiltrated your home, they can breed quickly and introduce parasites into your indoor environment, including fleas, lice, or ticks. Signs you need a professional rat exterminator or a mouse exterminator include:
- Rodent droppings. Fresh droppings are brown in color and may be found near a food source, along a commonly used trail, or close to where the rodents are nesting.
- Gnaw marks. Teeth marks may be found on structural materials or food packaging. Large gnaw marks are a sign you have a rat problem, while smaller teeth marks may be a sign of a mouse infestation.
- Scratching noises. Roof rats and Norway rats are common to the area, and both are excellent climbers. If you hear scratching noises from above, call Wheat’s for inspection and removal services.
- Footprints or trails. Shine a flashlight along the floor in areas where you suspect there is rodent activity to look for signs of footprints, smudges, urine stains, and more. Try placing a thin layer of flour or talc on the floor and check for activity the next day to determine if the infestation is current.
- Nests. Rodents will use soft, shredded material such as cardboard or fabric to build a nest and are likely to choose a warm location close to a food source.
Tips for Prevention
Discourage rodent activity in and around your home with these tips:
- Use metal garbage bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Keep the area beneath the stove and behind the fridge clean.
- Eliminate the use of bird or squirrel feeders.
- Turn compost piles to cover recently added food waste.
- Reduce the amount of clutter around your home’s exterior, which can provide the perfect hiding place.
- Store food in metal or glass containers with tight-fitting lids.
Professional Rat Removal Services
Upon arrival, our pest control experts will conduct a thorough inspection to determine which type of rodents are occupying your home. From there, we will search for the sources of entry, locate any nests, and set the appropriate bait and traps in safe and hidden locations. Exterior points of entry will be sealed to prevent further activity and we will advise you on steps you can take to prevent the issue from reoccurring. Our technicians will continue to visit your home until all traps are clear and the infestation has been eliminated.
Schedule Rat Control Services in Northern Virginia
DIY pest control solutions such as traps or poison can be dangerous, ineffective, and slow to work, highlighting the need for professional pest control services.
Get rid of rats fast by calling Wheat’s at 703-641-4790 today or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.